From straightforward visualization to advanced image processing and quantification, Dragonfly delivers the features you need to accomplish meaningful results quickly and confidently.
Featuring an easy-to-use user interface with intuitive workflows and an extensive set of tools for the multi-dimensional display, transformation, segmentation, registration, and measurement of multi-scale multi-modality image data, Dragonfly delivers qualitative and quantitative results for material characterization, structure properties, surface analysis, process evaluation, quality control testing, or any analysis function that requires a high-degree of accuracy.
Dragonfly is the ideal framework for integrating data from multiple sources into a single environment. Importing images into Dragonfly is always easy, whether your images come from leading microscope and imaging hardware vendors or RAW files produced by academic software. Forget about file formats and focus on getting to work with the right images and the critical field-of-view.
Dragonfly supports the following file formats for 3D volumetric data:
- Image stacks (.tif, .tiff, .jpeg, .jpg, .png, .bmp, .dib extensions)
- MRC (.mrc extension), REK (.rek extension), TXM* (.txm extension)
- Analyze 7.5 files (.hdr extension with accompanying .img extension)
- RAW data (.raw and .pic extensions) with or without header files (.dat extension)
*File format used by ZEISS Xradia 3D X-ray Microscopes. Available for Dragonfly Pro only.
Restore image quality and yield information that otherwise would have been missed with industry leading image filters, powerful post-processing functions, and infinite extensibility.
Dragonfly's extensive image processing toolkit features filters to smooth images, sharpen edges, correct uneven shading, extract features, and more. With selectable 2D and 3D settings and user-specified kernel sizes, you can combine multiple filters together as a workflow, which can be saved and applied to a batch of images for automated processing.
- Smooth noisy images with Bilateral, Gaussian, Mean, Mean Shift, Median, Non-Local Means*, Percentile, and Rank filters.
- Correct uneven shading with Histogram Balancing*, Local Entropy Minimization*, Manual RBF*, and Polynomial filters.
- Emphasize edges in an image with Canny, Difference of Gaussian, Laplacian, Prewitt, Scharr, and Sobel edge detection filters.
- Apply CLAHE, Histogram Equalization, Local Histogram Equalization filters to enhance poorly contrasted images.
- Sharpen images with Unsharp and Gaussian High Pass filters.
- Perform texture analysis with Gabor, Image Moments, and Local Binary Pattern filters.
- Grow or shrink image regions and remove or fill-in image region boundary pixels with morphological filters that include Dilate, Erode, Open, Close, and Top Hat operators.
- Use the Otsu and other thresholding filters for segmentation applications or to extract features.
- Create new datasets from arithmetic operations.
*Available for Dragonfly Pro only.
Other image optimization tasks are facilitated with post-processing functions that include:
- Matching processes to automatically align slices and build a consistent stack of images. Tools for manually correcting translations and rotations are also provided.
- Interpolate or remove unrepresentative image slices within a dataset.
- Crop datasets, invert data, and restructure data according to different analysis needs.
- Modify image spacing and adjust data offset and slope, position in space, and orientation.
- Apply thresholding operations to extract new datasets or contour meshes.
Visualize and Explore
Dragonfly provides a powerful set of image review and interactive inspection tools that let you gain detailed insight into your 3D data.
- Display single or multiple datasets in multiple views windows.
- Grid tool and selectable background colors for 2D and 3D views.
- 2D orthogonal plane image review.
- MPR, oblique, and double oblique views in MIP, mIP, and average intensity projections.
- Interactive orthogonal clipping and reslicing in any arbitrary angle.
- Real-time high-quality 3D volume renderings with lighting, transparency, optimized presets, and clipping to reveal hidden structures.
- Multi-modality fusion with automatic and manual registration.
- High-quality surface rendering.
- Manipulate tools include Track, Window Level, Pan, Cine, Zoom, Walk, and clip planes.
Everyone loves beautiful images that convey new understanding about their favorite materials. But without proper image segmentation, images can fall short of needed quantitative descriptions. Image segmentation and intuitive masking operations in Dragonfly let you identify and label regions of interest, extract features, conduct analyses on statistical properties and gain detailed insights into material structures.
- Segmentation tools include 2D/3D Brush, Point-and-Click, Grow, and others.
- Rectangular, ellipse, polygonal, freehand region selection tools.
- Hide, highlight, subtract, extract multiple regions and apply operations such as Dilate, Erode, Open, and Close, and Boolean operators.
- Interactive image thresholding, partitioning, and histographic segmentation.
- Automatic object segmentation.
Quantify and Measure
Whether analyzing pores, fibers, grains, phases, or anything else, Dragonfly's quantification and analysis tools give you powerful options for counting, measuring, and characterizing image features. Interactive visual inspection with object coloring and highlighting means you can always visualize your analysis in a meaningful way.
- Study volume metrics, including porosity*, particle, and void analysis.
- Basic tools for measuring lengths, angles, and areas.
- Measure min, max, and mean intensity values and standard deviation.
- Profile intensity distribution with spot probes, line profiles, and within areas.
- Generate 3D models of your materials structure using surface and geometry reconstruction.
- Automatically find, classify, count, sort, and measure objects with parameters that include volume, surface area, orientation, or other parameters of your choosing.
- Automatic object splitting and merging*.
*Available for Dragonfly Pro only.
Automate and Extend
More than just a ready-to-use software application. Dragonfly’s 3D analysis workflows can be customized with Python or extended by developing custom add-ons and modules that implement specific tasks and workflows that suit your research objectives.
- Access the Python console to script routines and make Dragonfly your own.
- Record and play macros to automate repetitive tasks.
- Build new features with the powerful image processing algorithms freely available in the Python ecosystem.
Showcase Your Results
Reveal key insights and share your research with annotated high-resolution screenshots and tell dynamic stories with easy-to-produce animated sequences that can be exported as HD video files or uploaded to the web.
- Annotate features to highlight important findings.
- Export screenshots and create high-resolution custom-size images for printing.
- Produce animated sequences and movie clips from camera rotations and user-defined sequences and playback your project directly in Dragonfly.
- Collaborate with colleagues by saving sessions that include all imported data and processed objects.
- Export data in a number of image file formats.