From straightforward visualization to advanced image processing and quantification, Dragonfly delivers the features you need to accomplish meaningful results quickly and confidently.
Featuring an easy-to-use user interface with intuitive workflows and an extensive set of tools for the multi-dimensional display, transformation, segmentation, registration, and measurement of multi-scale multi-modality image data, Dragonfly delivers qualitative and quantitative results for material characterization, structure properties, surface analysis, process evaluation, quality control testing, or any analysis function that requires a high-degree of accuracy.
Dragonfly is the ideal framework for integrating data from multiple sources into a single environment. Importing images into Dragonfly is always easy, whether your images come from leading microscope and imaging hardware vendors or RAW files produced by academic software. Forget about file formats and focus on getting to work with the right images and the critical field-of-view.
Dragonfly supports the following file formats for 3D volumetric data:
- Image stacks (.tif, .tiff, .jpeg, .jpg, .png, .bmp, .dib extensions).
- DICOM image files (.dcm extension). New for version 3.0.
- MRC (.mrc extension), REK (.rek extension), TXM* (.txm extension).
- Analyze 7.5 files (.hdr extension with accompanying .img extension).
- RAW data (.raw and .pic extensions) with or without header files (.dat extension).
*File format used by ZEISS Xradia 3D X-ray Microscopes. Available for Dragonfly Pro only.
Restore image quality and yield information that otherwise would have been missed with industry leading image filters, powerful post-processing functions, and infinite extensibility.
Dragonfly's extensive image processing toolkit features filters to smooth images, sharpen edges, correct uneven shading, extract features, and more. With selectable 2D and 3D settings and user-specified kernel sizes, you can combine multiple filters together as a workflow, which can be saved and applied to a batch of images for automated processing.
- Smooth noisy images with Bilateral, Gaussian, Mean, Mean Shift, Median, Non-Local Means*, Percentile, and Rank filters.
- Correct uneven shading with Histogram Balancing*, Local Entropy Minimization*, Manual RBF*, and Polynomial filters.
- Emphasize edges in an image with Canny, Difference of Gaussian, Laplacian, Prewitt, Scharr, and Sobel edge detection filters.
- Apply CLAHE, Histogram Equalization, Local Histogram Equalization filters to enhance poorly contrasted images.
- Apply dynamic range expansion with the Normalization filter. New for version 3.0.
- Sharpen images with Unsharp and Gaussian High Pass filters.
- Perform texture analysis with Gabor, Image Moments, and Local Binary Pattern filters.
- Grow or shrink image regions and remove or fill-in image region boundary pixels with morphological filters that include Dilate, Erode, Open, Close, and Top Hat operators.
- Use the Otsu and other thresholding filters for segmentation applications or to extract features.
- Create your own filter effects by convolving an image with a customized 2D or 3D kernel. New for version 3.0.
- Accelerate repetitive post-processing tasks by applying saved image filtering workflows. New for version 3.1.
- Create new datasets from arithmetic operations.
*Available for Dragonfly Pro only.
Other image optimization tasks are facilitated with post-processing functions that include:
- Matching processes to automatically align slices and build a consistent stack of images. Tools for manually correcting translations and rotations are also provided.
- Interpolate or remove unrepresentative image slices within a dataset.
- Quickly remove small defects or replace lost or corrputed parts of image data with Dragonfly's Inpainting feature. New for version 3.0.
- Crop datasets, invert data, and restructure data according to different analysis needs.
- Modify image spacing and adjust data offset and slope, position in space, and orientation.
- Apply thresholding operations to extract new datasets or contour meshes.
Visualize and Explore
Dragonfly provides a powerful set of image review and interactive inspection tools that let you gain detailed insight into your 3D data.
- Display single or multiple datasets in multiple views windows.
- 2D orthogonal plane image review.
- Support for time volumes. New for version 3.1.
- MPR, oblique, and double oblique views in MIP, mIP, and average intensity projections.
- Interactive orthogonal clipping and reslicing in any arbitrary angle.
- Synchronize all 2D views in the workspace to facilitate side-by-side comparisons of idfferent datasets. New for version 3.0.
- Real-time high-quality 3D volume renderings with lighting, transparency, optimized presets, and clipping to reveal hidden structures.
- Automatically sectionalize 3D renderings to reveal the interior of a sample. New for version 3.1.
- Sharply define objects or features of interest with Focus and Depth of Field controls. New for version 3.0.
- Edit and create look-up table functions to enhance visualizations.
- Multi-modality fusion with automatic and manual registration.
- Quickly adjust the opacity of all objects visible in 2D and 3D views with a co-localized Opacity Settings console. New for version 3.0.
- High-quality surface rendering.
- Manipulate tools include Track, Window Level, Pan, Cine, Zoom, Walk, and clip planes.
- Selectable background colors for 2D and 3D views.
Everyone loves beautiful images that convey new understanding about their favorite materials. But without proper image segmentation, images can fall short of needed quantitative descriptions. Image segmentation and intuitive masking operations in Dragonfly let you identify and label regions of interest, extract features, conduct analyses on statistical properties and gain detailed insights into material structures.
- An advanced machine-learning plug-in that allows you to train a classifier within a limited sample so that it will learn how to segment the pixels of the whole dataset or other similar dataset. New for version 3.0.
- Automatically segment datasets with any of the classifiers that you created or downloaded for trainable segmentation and compare the results with all the classifiers available for download in the Infinite Toolbox. New for version 3.1.
- Segmentation tools include 2D/3D Brush, Point-and-Click, Grow, Smart Grid*, and Snap*. *New for version 3.0.
- Rectangular, ellipse, polygonal, freehand region selection tools.
- Hide, highlight, subtract, extract multiple regions and apply operations such as Dilate, Erode, Open, and Close, and Boolean operators.
- Interactive image thresholding, partitioning, and histographic segmentation.
- Automatic object segmentation.
Quantify and Measure
Whether analyzing pores, fibers, grains, phases, or anything else, Dragonfly's quantification and analysis tools give you powerful options for counting, measuring, and characterizing image features. Interactive visual inspection with object coloring and highlighting means you can always visualize your analysis in a meaningful way.
- Study volume metrics, including porosity*, particle, and void analysis.
- Basic tools for measuring lengths, angles, and areas.
- Define paths to extract information about curved structures. New for version 3.0.
- Point Set tool for extracting multiple intensities and positions. New for version 3.0.
- Measure min, max, and mean intensity values and standard deviation.
- Profile intensity distribution with spot probes, line profiles, and within areas.
- Compute a range of measurements, as well as the variance and standard dviation, for each slice with a dataset and for datasets as a whole. New for version 3.1.
- Automatically find, classify, count, sort, and measure objects with parameters that include volume, surface area, orientation, or other parameters of your choosing.
- Automatic object splitting and merging*.
- Generate 3D models of your materials structure using surface and geometry reconstruction.
- Generate color-coded meshes showing referential values of the local thickness between boundary points. New for version 3.0.
*Available for Dragonfly Pro only.
Automate and Extend
More than just a ready-to-use software application. Dragonfly’s 3D analysis workflows can be customized with Python or extended by developing custom add-ons and modules that implement specific tasks and workflows that suit your research objectives.
- Access the Infinite Toolbox to browse and download extensions from the Dragonfly user community that implement new features and workflows. New for version 3.1.
- Extensive technical documentation package for developers interested in authoring plugins for Dragonfly and for users who want to better understand the conventions and structure of the product. New for version 3.1.
- Access the Python console to script routines and make Dragonfly your own.
- Better understand the commands and conventions used in Pyhon with Dragonfly's Jupyter Notebook tutorials. New for version 3.0.
- Record and play macros to automate repetitive tasks.
- Build new features with the powerful image processing algorithms freely available in the Python ecosystem.
- Simplify the task of making Dragonfly your own with a new set of developer tools. New for versions 3.0 and 3.1.
Showcase Your Results
Reveal key insights and share your research with annotated high-resolution screenshots and tell dynamic stories with easy-to-produce animated sequences that can be exported as HD video files or uploaded to the web.
- Annotate features to highlight important findings.
- Export screenshots and create high-resolution custom-size images for printing.
- Produce animated sequences and movie clips from camera rotations and user-defined sequences and playback your project directly in Dragonfly.
- Play and record animations that automatically scroll through all image slices. New for version 3.0.
- Collaborate with colleagues by saving sessions that include all imported data and processed objects.
- Export data in a number of image file formats.